Saturday, January 26, 2008

Meet the 2008 Nepal Team!!

The dire situations of the local Nepalese people are often masked by the amazing beauty of this country. Ready for a "mountain top experience", in physical as well as spiritual ways, this diverse team of volunteers is preparing for working with a local community in their challenge against poverty housing, while appreciating the magnificance of their surroundings.


“Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

Enjoy "meeting" each other!

My name’s Rick Medlen, a resident of Creswell, just south of Eugene, Oregon. I can’t believe that we are all going to travel around the world together! I feel very fortunate to be able to join your team, it’s been a dream of mine to travel overseas to participate in a Habitat build for a couple of years. I have been involved in our local Habitat affiliate for about 6 years and am currently president of our board. We are just starting a 10-lot subdivision so I will have lots of work experience before our trip! I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Bob and Leslie and I think we are in good hands. Let’s just hope they come back from Papua/New Guinea and Mozambique in one piece and ready for more. I can’t wait to see Mt. Everest, maybe take a couple of days afterwards and travel into India to see the Taj Mahal and some other archaeological sites after our build. Of course the best part will be to meet the people of Nepal and to experience their culture for a couple of weeks. Everyone who has been immersed in another culture says it’s a life-changing event. It will also be nice to meet all of you over the few months before our trip. I’m always available at oregonnewfs@yahoo.com if anyone wants to chat.

Bob - I have been a tool dresser, potato planter, log peeler, dog musher, glacier guide, school principal/teacher, Habitat trainer, and dad. I'm known for telling stories, which I'm not really sure is accurate. I like to spend my free time watching animals, especially in Alaska. And I love to be in the outdoors. This picture is of my youngest son and I on our recent trek into the base camp of Everest. When I grow up, I want to be content with what I've done in my life. My birthday is on the same day each year, usually in the middle of the second run of sockeye salmon going up the Kenai River.

Leslie - I have been an Alaska Court clerk, director of youth camps, built my own log cabin, taught 8th grade, built/remodeled/demolished a few houses, served as full-time volunteer for HFHI as a Global Village trainer in Asia Pacific, and as a team leader. My most full-filling, ever-changing job has been, and still is, that of a mom. I enjoy spending my time with Bob in most of the things he does, especially in Alaska and leading Habitat teams around the world. I always look forward to meeting new people on teams, and experiencing different cultures with them. I can be easily bribed with ice cream and can eat more of it than anyone, our three sons excluded (they learned from the best).



Sis Carroll - I've been involved with GV since 1995. This build wll be #14, I think. I live in Denver, have since college in the 60's. I have a limited property management business. I'm single, having raised 4 great kids, 3 of whom have been involved with Habitat over the years. Like Leslie, I'm prone to celebrating my birthdays, often with fund-raising for Habitat. It is so easy to do!

Greetings! My name is Katie and although I live in San Diego, I am an east-coaster at heart. I went to school in Baltimore, Maryland where I received an BS in Accounting and a Masters in Tax. Don't let that fool you, you won't find me wearing any pocket-protectors. I am an avid runner, love to go hiking, biking, pretty much anything outdoors. My past GV trips have been incredible and I expect Nepal to be the same. I look forward to doing alot of hard work, meeting great people, and especially working with the local Nepalese. Bring your running shoes if you have them, there's always a place to run :-)

Hello all. My name is Josie Mulkins. I hale from Springfield, Oregon where I live in a neighborhood full of crazy folks including my next door neighbors Bob and Leslie. I have a BA in French from the University of Oregon, worked for a software company for several years and recently went back to school for my massage license. Now, I work for part-time for Lane Community College and part-time doing massage. I also spend time working on my house (major fixer-upper). I often borrow tools from Bob and Leslie and ask their advice on my projects. Right now I am trying to get a kitchen sink back in. I am very excited for this opportunity to travel to Nepal and be on a Habitat Build. Please forgive my picture I only had photos from birthday parties thus my birthday crown.

Namaste, my name is Peter Tea. I was raised in Edgemont NY (Westchester County), went to college at Northeastern University in Boston, currently live in Newport RI and work for Intel Corporation. Wow that sounds like the start of a resume, sorry. I had been involved with Habitat for Humanity in New England for twelve years, my last two as president of a local affiliate’s board. Running the board was a great experience but I much prefer to be hands on building. I took a three year break from Habitat as a lot of other things changed in my life. As I looked at how to get re-involved with Habitat I wanted a new experience, as soon as I saw the Global Village Nepal project I knew that was the perfect way to come back to the Habitat “family” and assist directly in building.I enjoy cycling, trekking, snow shoeing, kayaking (any reason to be outside) and most of all traveling. I got the wanderlust from my parents, both teachers so we spent every summers traveling along with my three older sisters. I recently tried acting, took a small part in a play, glad I had that experience, glad I didn’t quit my day job as I was awful! Regardless it was a great way to awaken the senses. I look forward to meeting each of you on what will certainly be a great experience.Till we meet in Kathmandu bida paau and safe travels.

I'm Andrea. I have Nursing degrees and did direct patient care for a few years. I have volunteered to be the Nepal team’s nurse. I am currently working as a Clinical Analyst using my nursing experience and computer technology to assist in the implementation of a clinical system. My part is to ensure that it is tested thoroughly before the clinicians are able to use it. I have been on 6 GV trips to Anchorage, AK (2), Kauai, HI, Biloxi, MS, Siberia, Russia and PNG. This will be my third international one. This is my forth team with the Bells and my fifth with Bob. They can not get rid of me until I get it right!
What I'm looking forward to the most while in Nepal is working with all you special folks of the team and the Nepalese people. I am also looking forward to the beauty of the country and their spirit. I can not wait to see the sunrise of the Himalayas I like to spend my free time running, playing the piano and working on projects around the house. I am running my first marathon on October 12 as a charity runner for the American Cancer Society. When I grow up, I want to be loving life and never losing the passion of living.


Martha - The Nepal trip will be my eighth Habitat trip since my retirement from Cornell Cooperative Extension. Prior to retiring in June, 2006, I worked as communications and development director in Westchester County, New York. When I’m not traveling to visit my grandson and family in New Hampshire, my son in Kansas City, or family in Indiana (my home state), I live in Brewster, New York (located about 60 miles north of NYC). In addition to Habitat, my volunteer activities include Hospice and a post secondary education program at a state prison. My first Habitat trip was to Senegal, West Africa. This was a wonderful experience which led me to sign up for another Habitat trip to Key West, Florida in 2007, followed by trips to New Zealand, Anchorage, and Northern Ireland. This year, I traveled to Papua New Guinea with the Bells in the spring and returned to Belfast in September. All of these trips were quite different, but each was very rewarding. I’m really looking forward to being part of the Nepal team and the opportunity to combine travel to a wonderful destination with the work of Habitat.
Bobbie- My husband Eric and I have owned our business for 23 yrs. We work together, travel together, and do just about everything together. (Works well for us, not so for many couples) I also find my most fulfilling job in life to be that of mom (to Kristin 27 and Peter 24). We have been blessed with two little granddaughters, Lauren is 2 years old and Eden is 2 months old. They live about 10 minutes from us and we have the pleasure of seeing them almost everyday!! Eric and I are definitely “foodies”, we’ve been known to travel long distances for a great meal. We’ve lead several teams to New Zealand in the past, so we know how rewarding these trips are. We’re really looking forward to discovering Nepal with Bob and Leslie as our leaders and all of you.

Eric- About eight years ago I called up Habitat and inquired about a posted trip to New Zealand and got a response from some guy named Bob Bell. Well, needless to say I was on my way to NZ as a team member along with 17 other folks. What an amazing experience, building with other team members and the locals, trekking the Milford Track, and living in NZ for several weeks. About two thirds through the trip Bob says “I’m leading a team with Leslie to Alaska this summer, anybody want to go”. I was in, of course. I was hooked by then and Bobbie and I then went to leader training and became team leaders. We’ve led several teams (Peter included) to New Zealand and we were about to lead a trip to Portugal when 9/11 hit. Cancelled of course but we will go someday.
Two years ago we moved our business from So. California to Bend, Oregon and it’s kept us very busy just making sure all is settled down. Business is OK right now so it’s time to get into Habitat trips again. We are looking forward to meeting you all and experiencing Nepal and all it has to offer.
I love to hike although I’ve only hiked in NZ and just recently here in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon (this is a feeble attempt at getting into shape before Nepal). I look forward to hiking in Nepal although it will probably kick my butt.

Peter- Hey everybody! My name is Peter Fleming and I'm originally from Southern California but now live in Bend, Oregon. I graduated from the CIA (culinary school) in New York a few years ago and just got back from living and eating my way through Italy for seven months. Needless to say, I'm kind of addicted to traveling and Nepal has always been at the top of my list. And getting to go there with Habitat is going to make it all the better. Aside from traveling, I love to cook, eat, play with my two beautiful nieces, and do pretty much anything outside, running, riding, hiking, etc. I can't wait to m meet you all. See all of you soon.

Hi: I'm Jim White. I have practiced law in Lansing, Michigan, for more years than I like to think about. My practice is entirely in the areas of employment law, mainly for the Michigan Education Association, and agricultural marketing and bargaining. This is my first international project with HFHI, but I have participated in several HFM projects in Lansing, Michigan, and been on several mission trips to Nicaragua with groups from my Church. In 1994 my wife, Barbara, and I were members of a USAID sponsored project in Kazakhstan forming join business ventures between United States agribusinesses and newly privatized Kazakhstan agribusinesses. It's now time to help build some houses in Nepal. I am excited about that and about having the opportunity to work along side the Nepalese and all our team members. I can't wait to see all of you in Kathmandu.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm the last one..Hi, I'm Suzanne. I did my first Global Village trip back in 97 with Bob and Leslie and decided to stick with 'em because they understand I am not a "morning person". Looking forward to meeting all of you and re-connecting with the marathon girl Andrea.