Monday, September 1, 2008

Helpful Nepali Vocabulary and Phrases


Nepali Pronunciation

Vowels: These are pronounced according to the following guide:
a as the 'u' in 'hut'
aa as the 'a' in 'garden
'e as the 'e' in 'best' (only longer)
i as the 'i' in 'sister' (Only longer)
o as the 'o' in 'more'
u as the 'u' in 'put'
ai as the 'I' in 'mine'
au as the 'ow' in 'cow'

Conosants: Most of the consonants are quite similar to their English equivalents.

Greetings
Hello - Namaste
Goodbye - Bida Paau
Good Morning - Namaste
Good Afternoon - Namaste
Good Night - Namaste
Please - Kripaya
Thank You - Dhanyabad
Excuse Me - Excuse Me
Sorry - Maaf paau
How are you? - Tapai lai kasto cha?
I’m fine, thanks - Malai thik cha, dhanyabad


Construction Terms
Wait - Parkhanus
Stop - Roknus
Finished - Siddhiyo
Is this correct? - Yo thik cha?
How do you do it? - Tapai le kasari garnu huncha?
Do it like this - Yesari garanu hos
Good Work - Ramro kaam garnu bhayo
Wall - bhitta
Floor - bhuei
Roof - chhana
May I have....? - Ke maile---pauna sakchu?
Hammer - ghan
Cement - cement
Sand - baluwa
Shovel - sabei
Trowel - karai
Nails - killa
Timber - kaath
Tape Measure - napne tape
Bamboo - baas
Mud - maato
Clay - mucheko maato
Brick - eitta
Stone - dhunga
Glove - panjaa
Water - paani

Useful phrases:
What is your name? Tapai ko naam ke ho?
My name is …. Mero naam ……
I don’t understand Maile bujhina
Do you understand? Tapai le bujhnu bhayo?
Do you speak English? Tapai Angreji bujhnu huncha?
What’s this? Yo ke ho?
How much does it cost? Yesko kati parcha?
It’s too expensive for me Yo malai mahango lagyo
I want to buy... Malai ---- kinaa man lagyo
I’m lost Ma haraye
I’m sick Ma birami bhaye
I’m hungry Malai bhok lagyo
I don’t eat... Ma ---- khadina
I’m a vegetarian Ma sakahari hu
What is the time? Kati bajiyo?
I’m thirsty Malai tirkha lagyo


No comments: